четверг, 5 ноября 2015 г.

A minor rant

Greetings, everyone.

I'll just cut it short: I stepped on a copyright claim on YouTube.

Let me explain the situation. I made a flash movie, and I used no other music than whatever I found on the Audio Portal. I had no idea the tune was copyrighted, and guess what? I see the video being flagged (or whatever it is when you still got the video up and it's monetized in the copyright owner's favor).

I do not blame the owner since it's his tune (as I found out later) , nor do I blame the moderators since they have done their job by finally taking the track off the Audio Portal. Sure, I may be to blame since I did not check if the tune is copyrighted before downloading from Newgrounds, but why do I have to do that when it's clearly said in the upload screen that the tunes themselves are supposed to be made by the uploaders?

Not only the situation for animators on YouTube is hard enough in general, it only takes three copyright strikes to have your channel taken down (and I had been contemplating quite the plans for mine, where I just recently started to put some effort in maintenance). And then there's this prick who comes to Newgrounds, jumps to the Audio Portal to upload stuff ripped off the Web. And then some unlucky author decides to unknowingly use the tune just to step on a copyright claim, only because some asshole though NG Audio Portal was an mp3 dump where you can store your personal copy of Metalocalypse soundtrack. Lemme give you a hint: it isn't.

If you try to find a way to watch the stuff you can't afford to watch or play, that might be questionably fine. After all, that is one of the reasons why Pirate political parties even exist. But if you downright steal content by slapping your name on it (and that's practically it when you upload third party content where it is assumed on the upload screen that the uploader is the author), then go fuck yourself.

P.S. If you're wondering, it all comes down from Randomness-4-Real on YouTube where it received a copyright claim. I may have to replace the music and reupload the video.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий